Tuesday, January 8, 2013

THE "NEW" RESOLUTIONS FOR 2013


THE "NEW" RESOLUTIONS FOR 2013

New Year's Resolutions are a wonderful tool to better your life and there is much to learn through reflection. It has been a long standing tradition to write out a list of goals for the upcoming year on New Year's Eve. Traditionally, these goals are then sealed away in an envelope and saved to be opened at the conclusion of the year. At the conclusion of the year, the goals are assessed and hopefully all (or close to all) have been accomplished. It's a fun tradition that causes me to reflect on the year and evaluate both good and bad; accomplishments and mistakes. From there, I determine a new list of goals for the upcoming year. These goals are not the same from year to year and they do not include ongoing goals such as weight loss which will just be a flat rate goal for the rest of my life. These goals are specific to the one year term.

Unfortunately, there are always goals that I forgot about or goals that I somewhat accomplished but have not completed. In order to improve my yearly results, I have made a few changes to this yearly tradition. I still write out a list of goals on New Year's Eve for the upcoming year, but instead of sealing it in an envelope, I tape it up in my closet or on my bathroom mirror. Then, I take it one step further by developing a strategy to accomplish each goal. For example, one of my goals for 2012 was to read four novels. I wanted to learn to relax, put my work aside and enjoy a good book (an event that hasn't occurred since prior to law school). I first broke it down into time increments. Four books a year can be broken up into one book every three months. The next step was to make sure I selected good books to avoid purchasing something I get one chapter into and regret, not to mention the waste of money. By asking around, I discovered that Barnes and Nobles has quiet reading areas and comfortable furniture throughout their stores. And they have a nice Starbucks downstairs. Once every three months, I made a trip to Barnes and Nobles, got a nice cup of coffee, scoped out a few good looking books, found a comfortable quiet chair and skimmed through my books reading a chapter here and there. After enjoying my coffee and skimming through books, I selected the most promising book for purchase so as not to waste money or time. Lastly, I read the book at home and accomplished that particular goal for the year.

Some New Year's Resolutions may be of a more serious matter, but this is just one example of how I take a goal and put it into action. Leaving the written goals in sight, continually reflecting on them and developing a plan to accomplish them keeps me focused and on track. You may not have a plan to accomplish each goal right away, but that's okay. You can even develop a plan for one goal at a time and then work on the next goal once that first goal is accomplished. Just keep focused and then at the close of the year, you'll be shocked at how many of those goals you've accomplished. Best Wishes for 2013 and I hope this year is the first year you accomplish all your New Year's Resolutions!