Thursday, May 9, 2019

The Origins of the Law Office of Pamela J. Helton



On a daily basis, men and women enter my office with a certain look that I have become well acquainted with- it is a combination of uncertainty, stress, concern, and anxiousness. In the initial consultation, I listen to personal stories, collect a set of details and then advise based upon law and experience. It is often an emotional conversation as it requires individuals to start from the beginning and share some of the most personal aspects of his/her life. Working with an attorney who takes the time to build a relationship based upon trust can make all the difference. I get asked often about how or why I got into law and more specifically- family law, so here is the story of the origins of the Law Office of Pamela J. Helton, P.A.

Married at an early age, my husband and I worked very hard. We had no education, no trade, worked odd jobs and had two children to raise and dealt with life as it came at us. Difficult times eventually led us to work in the travel and timeshare industry. It seemed life was finally looking up and stable, but that’s the thing about life- You never know when things can take a sudden and unexpected turn. The resort that employed both my husband and I fell into bankruptcy. Facing devastating financial loss, unwanted health problems and more, I had some tough decisions to make. I had to find a new direction. Neither my husband or I had family support and we had small children of our own to support. After crawling out of our hole, my husband and I began a daring and difficult journey to begin a new life.

The first step was to enroll at Valencia Community College. We attended classes at night and on weekends while running a home daycare during the day time hours. We both earned an Associates Degrees and transferred to the University of Central Florida, still taking night and weekend classes and a few during the day while we employed help at the daycare. Upon graduation from UCF, I studied hard and obtained a good score on the LSAT, applied to law schools and eventually was accepted into Stetson University of Law in St. Petersburg, Florida.   We uprooted the kids and relocated to the Tampa Bay area to begin what would be the hardest time of all our lives. While attending law school full-time, I intermittently worked the registration desk at a local emergency room at night. My husband worked as a teacher during the day and worked nights as a counselor in a mental health unit. There are no words to express the difficulty of attending law school full-time, working a full-time job, balancing a family, marriage, and finances all with no outside support. The only thing I can say is that sometimes in life you just have to keep your head down and not think beyond today- literally the next 12-24 hours. We asked ourselves, “What must I do to simply survive today and today alone?”- advice I still offer to clients as they walk through difficult times.

In the summer of 1996, I walked across the stage and received my Juris Doctorate Degree from Stetson University of Law with my husband and kids there to celebrate the moment. Then in February of 1997, I passed the Florida Bar and began working for an attorney in Orlando before opening my own practice in a small 10 X 10 office in Pine Hills, FL. It was a humble beginning, but I quickly learned how to run a business, gained legal experience through the school of hard knocks and grew a practice as a team with my husband. Eventually we opened our own office downtown Orlando where we remained until 2005. An additional satellite office was opened in Clermont in 2003 which eventually became our main office as we relocated to the area.  

Because of my own life experiences, I have a passion for assisting families during difficult times. I came from a broken home and I know the sorrow of divorce. I know the stress hard times can bring onto families and individuals. I also know that despite facing tremendous difficulties, you can succeed. When the life you knew ends whether through divorce, loss of a loved one, financial loss, etc., you can start over, but there is a process to building a new life. With the right help and sometimes an attorney, you can succeed.

In order to be a knowledgeable advocate for my clients, I continually research and keep current on ever changing laws. I speak often on legal topics in the community in hopes of protecting and helping citizens to avoid problems. I want to be effective for my client’s who put their trust in me. Family, Faith and Community are important and my husband and I are both committed to serving all three of those areas.  

The Law Office of Pamela J. Helton practices in the areas of Family Law, Will/Estate Planning, Adoption, General Civil Litigation and Personal Injury. We are proud of the work we have done to help people in this community and across Central Florida. We appreciate the trust our clients put in us and promise to never take that trust for granted. If you have questions about how we may help you, please do not hesitate to call us at (352) 243-9991. We look forward to hearing from you.